2012-08-07

Battle report: Eldar VS Imperial Guard

This weekend my fiancée wanted to play something, normally we play some board or card game, but this time I asked if she wanted to try some miniature game instead.
So it ended in me showing her how 40k is played. As she haven't played any miniature game before, we started of with just a few models per side, no vehicles, and no fancy stuff what so ever, only a few troops on each side.

To start with I had to explain in a few words what the different armies I have is in the 40k world, using references mostly to World of Warcraft as she plays this quite a lot. I have never thought about it, but when we discussed the Imperial Guard she said "Oh, so they are kind of like the goblins" and I have to say that she kind of hit the mark with that one, if you ignore the green part of the goblins that is.

But anyways, we ended up with me taking charge of some Imperial Guard, and she got a bunch of Eldar. The armies was about 500 points of what I could find on short notice so we had this;

Eldar
12 Guardian defenders w/ Star Cannon
12 Guardian defenders w/ Bright Lance
10 Storm guardians w/ 2 Fusion guns
6 Jetbikes w/ 2 Shuriken cannons

Imperial Guard
1 Command squad w/ Melta gun and Medic
2 Infantry squads w/ Flamer and Vox
1 Command squad w/ Standard
2 Infantry squads w/ Grenade launcher
1 Veteran squad w/ 3 Plasma guns

We used the small table I've created before and filled it up with terrain and I started the quite lengthy explanation to how this thing works.

After this we started our setup, we didn't use any objectives of mysterious terrain or anything like that, I thought it was more than enough to concentrate on the very basics of the game.


I had the first turn of the game and just advanced everything I had. Tanking a few shots at long range. Here the flaw in my showing of the game to new people started, as I rolled like a god, hitting far more than I should have, and my fiancée failing almost every save she had to take. This was unly to get worse as the game continued.
But for this turn I shot a few of the defenders on the right, and another few of the storm guardians in the center.


In her turn I gave the tip, that her jetbikes are dead hard, and they can move in the assault phase, great for jumping in front of cover and then back again. So this she did and I could see how she would slay almost everything I had on the left flank. The rest of her units advanced, mostly in cover.
The jetbikes then… well they didn't do as well as they should have in the shooting, but at least they killed a little over half of the leftmost squad, while the center defenders shot another two in one of my center squads as that was all they could reach. But in the assault when the bikes should have had no problem to get back behind the house, they rolled only 3" and could get nowhere at all.




In my second round I advanced most of my army again, getting closer to the eldar lines. And when the shooting came around we had a serious case of the dice loving me, and hating my fiancée. On the right the front squad annihilated most of the defenders right in front of them, so much that the veterans behind them could hardly hit anyone. In the end only a single guardian was left.
In the center the reduced squad shot at the center defenders, taking out a good bunch of them as well.
But most depressing was on the left where one full squad and the reduced infantry squad managed to take down four of the jetbikes. She could not make a single of the 3+ saves she had to take.





When it was the eldar turn again, she was getting a bit frustrated with her dice, but I pointed out that my full infantry squad on the left was very close to her close combat experts, and that they should have no problem killing them off, even if she had to charge though the difficult terrain, after all, guardsmen suck in close combat. So she advanced the storm squad, and the other guardians to get a bit closer to use the 12" range of the catapults. And on the right the remaining guardians fired the bright lance and vaporized a veteran, and the center squad fired into the squad in front, killing a few and made them break. On the far left the remaining jetbikes tries to kill some more of the reduced squad, but not a single hit is scored, even though the catapults is twin linked...
The storm squad fired their pistols into the squad in front of them, killing a few, and then they charge home. And here they failed again, getting two guardians killed, for no casualties for the imperial side. Here I really start to think that my dice loves me, and hates anyone else that uses them. The guardians hold at least.




In what would be the last turn we played I again advanced with my whole army, except for the broken squad, that fails to rally and again runs closer to the board edge. The veterans fire upon the defender squad in the center, killing all but one and the squad in the center advances so they can charge into the storm guardians. On the left the command squad and remains of the infantry squad fire upon the jetbikes, but fail to do anything at all.
In the assault phase the infantry squad charges, and even though the guardians have a much better round, killing two guardsmen, they still loose all but one, and they flee from combat.
Here we stop as most of the imperials are still standing, but on the eldar side there are three units with just one model in them, and two jetbikes.





So my track record for showing people how to play (and letting them win) is kind of bad, but my fiancée wasn't discouraged, and wanted to try it again. So another game is planed for to be played this week, but this time I think she will get to use the far more forgiving Space Marines I have, we also ordered some new dice, so she can have her own tat doesn't hate her from the start =)



No comments:

Post a Comment