But I'm not going to go over too much what has happened and more concentrate on whats going on, and in that have a few looks back at what has happened in that context.
So for starters I picked up my Napoleonic miniatures this spring, I found a gaming group in the same town as I live in and even though the mostly play 40k at least two was interested in some historical wargaming. So I got my more or less forgotten miniatures out of storage, looked thought what I got, what was painted and what I needed to do and get to get both my british and my french forces up to the level of playable.
Since none of the others had any experience in any historical game at all, I got hold of my copy of the Waterloo game from Warhammer Historical, as this has some resemblance to Warhammer Fantasy and that was a game they knew of.
So to get this going I had to supplement my british forces quite a bit, as it was then I only had a few units, and most of them was only four bases each, and Waterloo uses up to eight for the british (and six for most of the others). So i got going and painted a few extra miniatures, and got some of the left overs I had organized for more units, I also got hold of one of the splendid plastic boxes from Perry Miniatures, and together with a few metal miniatures I had, I got a total of four regular units done and two more units of Riflemen, so I have a small unit (four bases) of 60th Rifles, and a slightly larger one (six bases) of the 95th.
I also got a cannon done and a artillery officer that would be my commander for the first battle.
I also supplemented the French side by completing a unit of light infantry that I think I started painting way back in 2011, here I also had to enlarge the units up from four bases to six. and I ended up with five units of regulars, the light and a smaller unit of Old Guard Grenadiers, and I also got a unit of Dragoons done.
With this I got the armies completed for the first game.
As this was our first game with new rules we did a ton of mistakes, but we was kind of consistent with them so they didn't affect the outcome too much (I think at least =)
I took control of the British forces and my opponent the French, we had most of our armies arrayed across from each other, but I thought I could be clever and sent one unit to flank around a small town, this did not go quite as I had intended and they spent almost all game walking and arriving when it was all to late. At the same time on the other side our infantry pummeled each other but the battle took a turn for the worse for the British when the French Dragoons appeared and charged into the lines.
The result was that most British units broke or was cut down and the battle was over.
All in all it was a great game, and I've since then started painting a unit of Hussars for the British so they also have some cavalry to challenge the frogs.
Here is some pictures from the game, enjoy =)
|Overview of table|
|French light troops|
|Guards and line troops|
|Initial movement of frensh right flank|
|First fire contact|
|Lines intermingle and units start deteriorating|
|Despite the markers the British forces are staring to get the upper hand|
|French guard breaks and flees!|
|And then the cavalry arrived....|